May 16, 2013

Shabana condemns 'Ishq ki maa ki', makers ask why this hypocrisy?

A number titled "Ishq ki maa ki" from "I Don't Luv You" so infuriated actress-activist Shabana Azmi that she called up an FM channel playing the song. But Amit Kasaria, writer of the song and director of the movie, laments the development saying he is "a new filmmaker, so I am an easy target".

After calling up the FM channel, the actress tweeted angrily against the song and the lyricist.

Shabana's tweet, which invited a lot of responses, read: "I cannot believe the song 'Ishq ki maa ki' has been written by a woman Pallavi Mishra. Revolting, shameful, disgusting and condemnable."

Hate-tweets against Pallavi Mishra, including some comparing her to rapper Honey Singh, started pouring in on the microblogging site.

But the song that offended Shabana has not been written by Pallavi, but Amit Kasaria, who has also directed "I Don't Luv You".

Kasaria stands up stoutly against Shabana's tirade.

Kesaria said: "I have the highest regard for Shabanaji. She doesn't seem to know that I wrote the song that has offended her. And I wonder why it has offended her! I am a young and new filmmaker, so I am an easy target. Vulnerable sections of people are easy scapegoats to justify moral attitudes."

"My song is not the least offensive. I'd say 'Bhaag DK bhaag' and 'Teri keh ke lunga' are the songs she should be targeting," he added.

"I repeat, my song doesn't insult women in any way. It only expresses the frustration of the young in love. My film is not anti-women at all. I invite Shabana to see my film. I am sure she will have a different opinion after seeing what I have to say," he said.

Commenting upon Kasaria's clarification, Shabana said: "There're no absolutes in freedom. We must exercise self-regulation, we find children dancing to such songs! Compared to today's songs, the "Sarkai lo khatiya jaada lage" era seems innocent."

Shabana is specially concerned about the effect such songs have on children. "The 'sexualisation' of children can't be condoned. I am shocked at how actors agree to mouth these vulgar lyrics," she said.

On the other hand, Mishra, associate producer of "I Don't Luv U", who always held Shabana Azmi "in high regards" for what she stands for and believes in, is "shocked by her allegations against me that she made so publicly on Twitter on May 13th".

"With due respect to her, she should have done her research and found out whether I have written the song 'Ishq ki maa ki' or not.

"I would like to ask Ms Azmi the reason for getting personal with this and making it such an issue! We made the song with no bad intention and depicted today's generation in it. I would also like to ask her why the gender bias? She made such a noise about it because she thought a woman has written it. But if a man has written the same song, then?

"Why did she not fuss when films like 'Delhi Belly' and 'Gangs Of Wassyepur' were belting out songs with double meaning? Why this hypocrisy? Also, I am sure Ms Azmi is not informed about the fact that after Censor Board's decision, the lyrics of the song have been changed from 'Ishq ki maa ki' to 'Ishq Ki naa ki'."

Shabana argues that as Mishra is the associate producer, "she had a responsibility towards what goes into the film".



Copyright © 2013 - ScrutinyByKHimaanshu

No comments:

Post a Comment